Your business has probably been contacted by Google with a promo code for a paid ads credit of $100.
It sounds so enticing. After all, who doesn’t love free advertising? They’ll even offer to set it up for you. They make Google Ads sound so easy.
Letting Google set up and manage your account is like letting Cookie Monster guard the cookie jar. Eventually, you’ll have no cookies.
The Google Smart Ads system is presented as a way to advertise easily. But what they don’t tell you is that it’s their favorite way to make an extra few billions every year. NOTE: Google recently rebranded this system, now calling it Smart Ads, as part of the regular Google Ads system, instead of calling it Express ads.
The fundamental problems with letting Google set up and manage your paid search account:
- They don’t make an effort to understand your business strategy and goals
- They don’t train you on how to manage the account, hoping that you won’t, and they’ll ultimately make more money as the clicks run wild
- They don’t take the time to write effective ads
- They don’t set up tracking effectively
- They are most interested in taking your money